Thursday, March 7

What I'll be reading in the next couple of weeks: Whitley Strieber's The Hunger and Michael Tolkin's The Player. Both books also have film versions. Tony Scott's take on the vampire life features the gorgeous Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon, plus David Bowie as an aging sucker. Heh. Meanwhile, Robert Altman's The Player has one of the longest opening scenes without a cut (or what we call here a "tuhog"). The eight minute introduction to the players of the Hollywood business was an homage to Hitchcock's Rope.

Vampires and the entertainment business. Not totally unrelated, and not too far from my previous reading material. I finished this book in the week I was away, and read it sporadically in between interviews, meals, treks to the mountain, and one afternoon in a coffee shop. It was a slim volume, and I've browsed it before, and even included it in my thesis a year ago. I hope the new books won't end up on the browsed but unfinished pile. Wishful thinking.

No comments: