Sunday, March 17

Spent the afternoon with my family and visiting relatives. Of course there would be lots of food. I especially liked the fresh lumpia and the pininyahang manok (chicken with pineapple). Later we all had ice cream. I don't know why but I really cannot stand ube and macapuno ice cream, or halohalo. I like chocolate though. Bah. This is the second week we've done this, and one more weekend to go before my aunt and uncle leave for their home in the south of France.

After lunch and the rapid fire kuwentuhan about more relatives whom I do not know or can barely recall, out came the microphone and the karaoke tapes, and singing ensues. We must be the karaoke capital of the world, the way everyone in this country practically sings. After most of my aunts have taken over the Frank Sinatra and other staples category, I knew they would pass on the mic. I dreaded that. They asked me to pick a song to sing, and another cousin handed me CDs from which I could select something. I browsed them, then put them back on the table, and then excused myself. I told them I was going to wait for my mom downstairs. Then my mom arrived and we went up again and more singing. Then I slinked back to where my brother and cousin were playing The Sims.

You cannot make me sing now, unless I choose to torture you. I'm not going to sing. Not. Never. So totally ungracious, yes. But I believe that if you cannot sing well, then do not sing at all. In grade school, our music class requires us to sing one song during exam week. My mother is the only one convinced that I can sing, and I was coerced to practice and sing (ugh) "Memory." You know, that song from Cats. The next thing I knew, I was in front of several hundred people doing Whitney Houston covers. Not bad. Until you get to be asked to sing in front of every visitor that arrives at your house. Then I discovered that I have the right not to sing if I don't want to. I chose to exercise those rights. Hehe. I still shrink back from the trauma. But of course, if you ask my mother, she would tell you a different story altogether.

No comments: