Tuesday, June 8

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

After nearly three years and an hour of sulking (not directly related to the issue of whether to watch or not), I was finally prevailed upon to watch Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Now for the last several years I have staunchly stood by my decision to not watch any of the HP movies, not because I'm a fan, but because I refuse to read or watch anything that everyone has watched. I've been this way since the Disney movies of the early 90s--Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc. I also missed The Bodyguard, Ghost, and all those romantic comedy movies because I refused to be infused with the spirit of Walt Disney et al.

Now as for HP, it wasn't for lack of trying. My brother had an HP phase and had copies around the house, borrowed from friends, and there's been an attack of the reruns of the movies on tv. I've had the movie playing in the kitchen the last couple of weekends while I had dinner, but it didn't really sink it. All I know is that it was bright as hell with sunshine and color and all, but nah and went on to proceed with dinner.

Then last night, after being disturbed from my foraging at Books for Les and being made to walk several blocks back to Glorietta, I sulked over my chili and refused to be consoled. Bad day and all. But there you go, prevailed upon to watch the movie, but grudgingly so. The only mtivation I had was that it was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, it couldn't be that bad.

That wasn't so bad, yeah. But really, for something that's been rated PG, it was dark and brooding and goddamn scary. Why they call this a movie for kids, I don't know. But it was a movie, it was. And yeah, there's a moment that felt so Back to the Future like. Discovery: Daniel Radcliffe is short. There was a moment in the movie that he trailed Hermione and Ron and he was short! I've always assumed Harry was taller than those two. And Emma Watson, give that girl a few more years, she's going the way of Lindsay Lohan and Keira Knightley. A few more years.

No comments: