Wednesday, September 3

I am hounded by three middle-aged men named Rene.

Saturday. Went to our alumni dinner and the batch coordinator was also some middle aged guy named Rene. He looked different from what I envisioned him to be while corresponding online. He's also makulit. He says I'm around the same age as his daughter who's studying in UST. Uhm, okay.

Last Sunday, I was at the Philippine Bookfair, minding my business at the CCP Booth and quietly watching the Pelikula documentary. This middle aged guy who was also watching struck up a conversation, asking whether I was a student, whether I'm from UP because only UP people would sit down and watch that docu feature voluntarily (eh?), and that he's a high school teacher from Southern California and if I happen to be in the area, would I come visit him? He's even inviting me to his mother's anniversary this coming Saturday at some hotel, with dinner. Uhm, no, I don't think so.

Do I have a post it on my forehead that attracts all the weirdos of the world to come and bugger me? I mean, I was minding my own business and I'm not getting in their way, but they find their way over to me. Gah.

----

Also at the Bookfair, went to the Goodwill stall and drooled over copies of "You Shall Know Us by Our Velocity!" which is Dave Eggers' new novel. I liked AHWOSG, and I'm curious about the new novel although reviews said it was like Amazing Race crossed with The Beach. I got a copy of the Alex Garland novel, but haven't read it yet. Anyway, I think Goodwill's books are more expensive. Kasi I saw their copy of Unbearable Lightness of Being. Powerbooks and National sells it for like p239, and Goodwill sells it for p500+. That's double the price. But they do have titles not seen in the other bookstores. Sana there's a Free Book Day tulad ng sa comics. Para mas masaya di ba?

No comments: