Wednesday, October 16

Salon interviews Roger Avary, writer of "Pulp Fiction," on the delicate subject of teen movies:
I like all of John Hughes' movies, except 'Pretty in Pink,' because Molly Ringwald should have gone off with Ducky at the end. But most teen movies are made by people who don't remember what it was like. They're making a big lie, broad comedies which aren't representative of deeper emotions. In your teen years your hormones and feelings are this swinging pendulum. You're going through fits of melancholy and intense love. I wanted that gamut of emotion, that weird, profound time when small moments and broken relationships have such incredible weight and depth. I knew that if I could get that across I could do something really different from a normal teen film.
Sometimes I find it weird when somebody points out that I'm not nineteen anymore. But most of the time, I still feel like I'm nineteen, all angst and rage. I write for a teen show, and sometimes they remind me that I'm too angry, too angsty. That it's not like that for everyone. If teen is all about bubblegum, mine burst and made a mess out of my hair.

No comments: