Monday, October 7

Objets perdues/trouves

It is exactly what you think it is.

A+ was puzzled what it was all about. I told her that some days, you just have no energy left. You hear something on the radio, or read something that is so perfect, so "in the moment." I believe in the strength of found objects. It is the solution for things that you just lost. Subtle but direct, with irreversible consequences.

I have this friend, who so adored this girl. He sat behind her in a round table discussion, talking about character. "I would do anything for her," he said. Then she tells him: "You have no subtlety." He flinched. But he still adores her, hopelessly.

Then there's this thing about burning tracks in a cd, the way we all used to make mix tapes of everything. Let's say you have to banish something from your life, and you have no strength to say it yourself, but you had a cd-burner. So you compile tracks that said all that you wanted, what would they be? I.e. --
Cranberries, "When You're Gone"
Sting, "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You"
Lisa Loeb, "Stay"
The Softies, "Hello Rain"
There is no progression. I will just hand over the cd, and say, "Play track 5." Then I will walk away, and you will be banished. (Ba-ni-shed, the way the Prince in R+J declared it.) You are banished.

If I had been less of a procrastinator, this post would have been about cheerful wedding song compilations. But alas, a digression. Btw, I don't get it why that song about bringing someone to his castle is a pinoy wedding favorite now. Don't they get it? Sandcastles are as good as the next wave, inevitable and incomplacent.

No comments: