Thursday, July 25

I spent most of today chasing Alfonso Cuaron, or rather his movies. I was browsing the news this morning and I find out that he’s taking over Chris Columbus as director for the third installment of the Harry Potter series. (Not that I give a flying fig about Harry Potter, but hey it should be better with Cuaron at the helm.) Plus I’m looking forward to the start Cine Manila already because I want to watch Y Tu Mama Tambien. So to prepare, I thought it would be nice if I watched Great Expectations, the one with Ethan Hawke and (ick!) Gwyneth Paltrow. I’m not much of a Paltrow fan, but the film was supposed to be very visual, and there’s a Mono song somewhere in the soundtrack. If there’s one thing to be thankful for, this film came ahead of Gwyneth’s “Wanna hear me sing?” phase. Life in Monotones would have been it. Shudder.

There are tons of copies of “A Little Princess.” I’ve had enough of Sarah Crewe in high school, thank you. Instead, I got “When Harry Met Sally” and “My Best Friend’s Wedding” as part of my cheer up movie binge. I found Abi her Joy Luck Club video. She went around HK looking for that and I find it here, in SM City North. And there’s still no trace of Great Expectations anywhere. I mean, come on, it can’t be out of stock in the whole metropolis right? Did an Ethan fan buy them all? [If you find a copy somewhere, please hurl it over to my direction.] Then I walked into the supersized Odyssey and the first album I saw was the soundtrack to Y Tu Mama Tambien. I resisted my urge to buy it. I already bought too many videos for today.

More good consumer purchases I’m proud of: I got Tim O’Brien’s The Things They Carried and Jamaica Kincaid’s At The Bottom of the River in a Booksale bin. Dirt cheap. Really down and dirty cheap. On the other hand, I’m poorer now. Feh.

No comments: