Wednesday, February 20

Today's Yahoo travel destination wants me to come and visit my own country:
The 7,000 islands which comprise the Philippines are the forgotten islands of South-East Asia: they're off the main overland route and have never attracted great numbers of tourists. There's no doubt that the country has lost out economically because of this, but its reputation as the basket case of Asia is now thoroughly outdated. Most of the Philippines is laid back, stable and relatively safe. The country likes to promote itself as the place where 'Asia wears a smile' and the locals are, by and large, an exceptionally friendly and helpful bunch. On top of this, transport is cheap, the food is good, accommodation is plentiful and (for the monolinguistic) English is widely spoken.
I wonder though if this is the updated version already. I was expecting a "Do not go here or prepare to be kidnapped by hooligans. Wear sunscreen." Or whatever. Travel is cheap? I don't think so. Not if you're paying for your own fare. Not if your own people would charge you an arm and a leg just like the foreign tourists. But I still would like to go around. We have a beautiful country. I'm convinced of that. We just have to take the paths less traveled (by tourists) to get to the really unexplored regions. I just hope that by the time I do get around to finally doing just that, those places will still be around.

No comments: