Thursday, February 28

Dateline Dumaguete

I'm posting this from a Scooby's in downtown Dumaguete. My segment producer and I have gotten along very well, thanks to the ubiquitous Bob who arranged our itinerary and hunted down our interviewees. Sometimes, it feels like it's actually Bob who's doing all the work. But he insists, and I'd rather that we get things done rather than get screwed when we return to Manila. And he really means well.

There are no malls here in Dumaguete, no McDonald's, and I haven't seen a single 7-11 store. Most of the shops close down by 7pm. There are no cabs. Instead there are hundreds of scooters and motorbikes. Girls in uniforms, grandfathers, teenagers who fancy themselves to be surfer dudes, mothers with babies strapped on their backs. Unfortunately, I cannot even stay upright on a bicycle. I am doomed to a pedestrian existence while we're here. Walking down the streets of Dumaguete requires perfect eyesight and a sense of timing. Look on both sides when crossing the street. The hum of tens of bikes buzzing like bees about to attack can sometimes be disorienting.

Dumaguete is a beehive, alive with drones and queen bees. We're staying at the Honeycomb Inn. In the trees and bushes outside there hangs some oversized bees, smiling at you. I had tea sweetened with honey for breakfast. At all times, there is a group of old men playing chess inside the canteen. At all times, there are joggers on the boulevard. At all times, there are couples snuggled close by the breakwaters. It was a full moon last night. I stayed out and took pictures. At all times I am with my camera, taking pictures.

No comments: