Saturday, March 27

Jumping hoops

There must be something in the air. My previous doppelganger post collected a series of comments which involved more impersonations than there are presidential candidates.

And in the Lear blogging household, it seems that the theme is all about jumping hoops. Ursula Lear spent the afternoon doing psychobabble. Butas na Chucks is considering becoming a Kapuso after officially declaring that she's going back to her old job. I have a new job and no network. But in the last few weeks, I've been getting offers from other networks, and I must say that it is tempting. I had to jump hoops just to let other parties know that I'm not saying a definite no, because I do want to write. It's just that I'm not sure I can handle what they're giving me now that I'm a full time fighting moron.

After all the paeans to honor and integrity and how teaching is such a vocation, there knocks reality. We were planning the annual summer roadtrip yesterday. In the guidebook, I came across a tip to travelers about food: Go where the government employees are eating. Then it hit me: I am now a government employee. Where you eat, it must be cheap. Ouch.

I don't want to have to scrimp to get by. Sure, it must be romantic to starve in some roach infested dungeon for your art (ew) or your vocation, but I'm allergic to dust and roaches. As today's visit to the dermatologist would attest, I need to do something to take care of myself, and not without denting my budget. I think it's possible to still do what you like and still breathe and eat and live away from the roaches.

So here we go, jump hoops and blog.

No comments: