Thursday, August 21

Mahilig akong pumatay ng tao*

Hindi, joke lang yun. Kasama yun sa character monologue ni Francesca Jose, alyas Keka. I got to watch the movie on its opening day yesterday kasi addict ako and I had to drag my friend all across Megamall just so we could watch it.

I suppose it had to do with the fact that the screening we attended was at 3pm. There were only a handful of people inside the theater. I hate to think that people didn't go because they got word that Katya Santos isn't taking off her clothes in this one. Which is actually better, because then we can focus on the unfolding story onscreen and not wonder whether they had to use special effects to make Katya and the other characters fit on the screen. And then we can be spared of all the jokes about how the director's mother did liposuction on the film's lead.

What I liked about it is the cheesy Donna Cruz song that came with the opening credits. I haven't heard "Kapag Tumibok Ang Puso," in ages, in the same way that I haven't been to church in ages, like since I graduated from grade school. Keka is an 80s fanatic, and she wears really cool tshirts. I like how the camera moves a lot, and the story is not linear. I heard that Gamitan was supposed to be nonlinear but they had it edited for the story to be a cause and effect thing. I like having the beginning, middle and end jumbled up. The movie is not afraid to be cheesy. I had a hoot with that musical production number, as in.

But what I've noticed with Quark Henares movies is that they all have violent endings. Maui Taylor and Jordan Herrera had to chop up the body and stuff them in garbage bags in Gamitan. Maui Taylor and Rica Peralejo had horrible fight scenes and stupid deaths in Hibla. Buti na lang Maui Taylor wasn't in this movie, although Katya Santos still killed several people but I think she got her guy in the end so it's all good.

And yeah, I like the part where Jason was saying that he liked everything about Keka--how she flips her hair, how she laughs, how she's so sweet--then you juxtapose that with Keka giving us the finger. Astig. Hehehe. And also, Keka works in a call center. Aww, I'm starting to run out of quirky jobs to deal with high ennui quotients. Nagawa na nila yung takilyera sa toll booth (Katya Santos in Sukdulan), cloth weaver (Rica Peralejo in Hibla), living breasts which grew a head (Maui Taylor in Gamitan), photographer in jeepneys (Sex Drive). Hm, I might make Katya Santos my bold star of choice, although I've only seen her in 2 movies. It used to be Rica Peralejo, but she doesn't want to go bold now.

Thing I didn't like: Of course Ryan Eigenmann would be the last fratboy Keka would do battle with. I mean, come on, you would expect that from the casting, right?

Go watch Keka, before it disappears and she kills you. I can't give you a coherent review right now, because my brain is swimming in chemicals.

No comments: