Wednesday, August 6

I want my favorite Asian renegade supercop, CSI.

Went to see Bangkok Haunted with my brothers some weeks ago. I've been seeing the trailer since forever, and since it was from the Pang brothers who made The Eye I was pretty interested. Major disappointment. My brothers were going, we should have seen Terminator instead, and I had to drag them thru bad weather to see it. Jol is supposed to post a review of it, scathing like his usual self, but it's not up yet.

I also saw the trailer for Dark Water, which is from the director of the Ringu series. It's like he transported the ring with its water/well imagery and transformed it to a..water tank. How's that for a formula?

I'm becoming disappointed with all these Asian clones. Been wanting to see movies which rock, goddmamit. Yesterday, I resorted to watching So Close again at the Film Center. At least, even if some say it's basically an Asian Charlie's Angels. It had lots of kickass fight scenes involving girls in stillettos. I like the soldier-bandit motif. Kunyari pa-deep, like Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, di ba? Hehe. What more can you ask for?

I had a bad memory from watching So Close alone in Megamall. Got bitten by ten thousand surots in Cinema 6. But I don't mind, which is why I watched it again. This time brought along Nonblockmate Arlene, who has a bagful of her European snapshots. I'd watch this movie again. Two words: Karen Mok.

She was in Fallen Angels, which makes her a Wong Kar Wai baby, and Cinemanila is having a WKM retrospective so I want to watch that again. She was also in Shaolin Soccer and the adaptation of Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen. And the girl studied Italian Lit, and can speak several Languages. Plus her brother is a writer. Astig di ba? Magtatayo na kami ng Karen Mok fans club. Hehehe.

No comments: