Monday, March 27

1994

I had decided to change the POV of the (kunyari) novel I'm writing for fiction class.

I don't know if I can pull this off, but the general idea is that this is a novel about coming home. In the summer of 1994, Icai turns fourteen, suddenly acquires a grandmother she never knew existed (but her mom must have come from somewhere, right? Except that her grandmother's been missing for 30 years and only then just decided to come home.), finds out that her formerly housebound dad is having an affair, and finds herself involved in "incidents" with her best friend Ayi.

Anyway, changing the timeline of the main character's existence from now to the mid-90s requires some research. Just what happened exactly in 1994? Random things I remember:

1. Miss Universe pageant in Manila. Sushmita Sen won for answering, "What is the essence of being a woman?" Richard Gomez and Aga Mulach serenading the beauties. The Eraserheads in barongs.

2. The Eraserheads' Circus album. I was in Music One the other day and I was mighty tempted to get both Ultraelectromagneticpop and Circus.

3. Alicia Silverstone in Aerosmith videos.

4. The Manila Filmfest Scandal. Miss Mauritius clapping and whispering, "Take it! Take it!" Ruffa Gutierrez turned 22 that year and she was yelling, "This is my f***ing birthday!"

Something tells me this is going to be difficult. What were you guys doing in 1994? Songs, movies, news bits, anything will be greatly appreciated.

No comments: