Sunday, November 21

Page stalking

In order to provide you with a peek into what I've been reading lately, I bring you something I got from Mary Ann, who lurks.
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your own bulletin...along with these instructions.
5. Don't search around and look for the "coolest" book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.
I'm actually reading several books at a time these days, in a mad scramble to keep up with my class readings and the 50 book list. But the only book right beside me has this to say:

"Journalists, beware--reporting on Japan is like walking on quicksand."
--Alex Kerr, Dogs and Demons: Tales from the Dark Side of Japan

I'm only in Chapter 2, but I can tell you that it's a very interesting read, which tells you much about why Japan is fascinated with concrete and shiny things, of empty wastelands and ghosts in manga and anime.

No comments: